What Is Search Engine Marketing?

Search engine marketing is a form of internet marketing for your website where the various online promotional activities performed are for better visibility in the search engine result page. Let’s see the gist of different search engine marketing techniques which help in ranking your website.

The first step in search engine marketing involves analyzing keywords. The keyword is ‘the word’ which summarizes your website. If you have a website selling gardening tools, then your keyword is ‘gardening tools.’ Keywords are the most important part of search engine marketing.

So spend a reasonable amount of time in coming up with the right keyword for the success of your website. I will talk further about the importance of keywords in my later blogs.

Search engine marketing is a terminology that discusses two distinct forms of gaining traffic.

  • Search Engine Optimization
  • Paid Advertisements


Search Engine Optimization

person using laptop

Search engine optimization is a process of gaining traffic by performing activities that do not require any sort of payment unless you want to outsource it to professionals. It is the most crucial form of search engine marketing.

Search Engine Optimization is relatively easy, and once you understand the concept, you can perform it without much difficulty. It is divided into two types:

  1. On-page Optimization
  2. Off-Page Optimization

On-Page Optimization

On-page optimization is a technique of optimizing the content of the website with good keyword placement. The website should also have meta tags and meta descriptions with keywords.

Even if they are not directly related to ranking, it still aids your website in being discovered. Various other factors needs to be considered for on-page optimization, which will be discussed in further blogs.

Off-Page Optimization

Off-page optimization is a technique that involves posting links on various other websites that are relevant to the keywords. The links posted on the other website create backlinks to your website. These backlinks help you by bringing in traffic from various sources.

Off-page optimization is a must for the success of any search engine marketing campaign. They are one of the free sources of bringing in the traffic your website. The success of your website is directly propositional to the number of people who visit it.

three girls working together on their laptops

Paid advertisements are another form of bringing in traffic to your website. The name by itself suggests that you need to pay for the advertisements to be published all around the website.

These paid advertisements are very popular because every time your keyword is typed in the search box, your website pops up in the search window.

It is always the only Search Engine Marketing technique which gives you immediate visibility. It will take ages for your website to be listed on the first page through the SEO process. Similarly, you can also place advertisements in various websites and blogs.

You need to approach many ad networks for publishing your advertisements. You will be charged each time any user clicks on the ad to enter your website. The different forms of paid advertisements are:

  • Banner ads: As the name suggests, they are banner-like advertisements displayed in various websites and blogs.
  • Pop-up ads: These types of advertisements appear when a user enters a website. I do not encourage this particular form of advertisement because it irritates users.
  • Pop-under ads: These kinds of ads are becoming popular where when a user visits the website, it doesn’t pop up, but when they leave the website it pops up.

Every website needs Search Engine Optimization as well as paid advertisements for a successful Search Engine Marketing campaign. Even though paid advertisements have better visibility, the traffic gained through it is only 25%, and the rest 75% is only through Search Engine Optimization.

Leave a Comment